Stack

Stack is a responsive layout object that allows you to stack content blocks in a single vertical column and split them into multiple columns at wider viewports.

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Usage

It is often desirable for blocks of content to be laid out in a single column on narrow viewports, but multiple side-by-side columns on wider viewports. The Stack component can be used to control these kinds of layout changes between viewport sizes.

Stack can be used for both page-level and component-level layout. For example, you can use Stack to create a two-column page layout or within a component to make two buttons stack at narrow viewports and split next to each other on wider viewports.

Guidelines

  • Stack objects can be nested inside other Stack objects.
  • Stack Items can split into side-by-side columns at the following breakpoints:
    • XX Small (xxs) – 320px
    • Extra Small (xs) – 480px
    • Small (s) - 680px
    • Medium (m) – 880px
    • Large (l) – 1080px
    • Extra Large (xl) – 1280px
  • Stack can reverse the direction of the Spark Item elements. This only works when using the split-reverse modifier and can’t be used with a single column Stack.
  • Spacing between Stack Items can be set using the available Spacing sizes.
    • Tiny - 4px
    • Small - 8px
    • Medium - 16px
    • Large - 32px
    • Huge - 64px
  • All Stack Items inside a Stack must add up to 100% width or the layout will not work. For example, if you have a Stack Item set to 1/2 width you can have one more Stack Item at 1/2 width, two more at 1/4 width each, etc.
  • Stack Items don’t have any internal padding. To add padding, consider using the Box Object.

Variants

Default

By default, Stack Items will form a single vertical column.

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Stack with Space Between Items

Space can be added between Stack Items. By default the spacing is below each item. When the items are split, the spacing is on the right. The available sizes are tiny, small, medium, large, and huge. The example shows medium spacing and splits at the small breakpoint (“s”).

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Split Stack with Two Columns

This layout configuration splits into two columns at a set breakpoint. The example shows the split at extra small breakpoint (“xs”).

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Split Stack with Three Columns

This layout configuration splits into three columns at a set breakpoint. The example shows the split at extra small breakpoint (“xs”).

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Split Stack with Four Columns

This layout configuration splits into four columns at a set breakpoint. The example shows the split at extra small breakpoint (“xs”).

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Split Stack with Five Columns

This layout configuration splits into five columns at a set breakpoint. The example shows the split at extra small breakpoint (“xs”).

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Split Stack with Six Columns

This layout configuration splits into six columns at a set breakpoint. The example shows the split at extra small breakpoint (“xs”).

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Split Stack with 75/25 Columns

This layout configuration splits into two columns at a set breakpoint. One column takes up 75% and the other takes up 25% of the available width. The example shows the split at extra small (“xs”).

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Split Stack with 60/40 Columns

This layout configuration splits into two columns at a set breakpoint. One column takes up 60% and the other takes up 40% of the available width. The example shows the split at extra small (“xs”).

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Split Stack with 70/30 Columns

This layout configuration splits into two columns at a set breakpoint. One column takes up 70% and the other takes up 30% of the available width. The example shows the split at extra small (“xs”).

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Split Stack with Mixed and Nested Columns

This layout configuration shows many combinations in which Stack can be used. It’s flexibility shows that Stack objects can be nested inside of each other and even contain flexbox elements meant to fill in the remaining space.

Developer Documentation

Information on how to implement this component is available for the following technologies.

Anatomy

  • Stack must have a container to wrap Stack Items. This container dictates spacing between items and split breakpoints.
  • Stack Items must be inside the Stack container. All Stack Item sizes must add up to 100% in total width.

Accessibility

  • Reversing the direction Stack splits could affect the order a screen reader will read the content. This can vary depending on device and browser context. Please use with caution.